Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------

the fan motor on my central air conditioner isnt spinning

the fan motor on my central air conditioner isn't spinning. I hear power going to it and it gets hot.
Will that stop the whole unit from working? Meaning, it the fan doesn't spin, will the compressor not turn on?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.

The fan is very important in the operation of your central air. The fan basically funnels heat away and the compressor circulates the coolant in your system. If its not working than your AC will not cool.

It sounds to me like you have a burned out compressor motor. That will definately need to be fixed. I hope this helped you.

If this answered your question, please hit the Accept button. It was a pleasure serving your needs. Have a great night.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If I replace the fan motor (I can get it at Graingers) am I wasting money, or is the fan part of the compressor motor, or is the compressor motor the "fan motor"
Thanks for any additional help you can offer,
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
its a compressor motor. The fan is usually attached to the unit. If your compressor is burned up, then you will want to get an AC tech to change it. The freon lines have to be detatched from the compressor motor. For this they have to evacuate the system and de-solder the lines. Once the new unit is in, they have to re-solder the lines and re-pressurize the system. Changing out a compressor motor on a central air unit is not something you should undertake. You need special equipment to do it. Again, I really hope this helps you.