Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

My disposer is a Kitchen Aid KaDette 250, 1/2 HP. It runs ...

My disposer is a Kitchen Aid KaDette 250, 1/2 HP. It runs fine but doesn't seem to chew stuff up too well because it plugs on the discharge side. can it be repaired or sharpened?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. You This is a very common problem with garbage disposals. Too much of anything added to the disposal is not good. Food left on plates, after you scrap the bulk into the garbage can is about all that should be placed in them. Always run enough water, to ensure that whatever food debris put in the garbage disposal is washed along into the larger main drain pipe of your home. Always put anything you can in the garbage to avoid problems with the disposal and to keep drain lines from becoming clogged. It is advisable to never put anything that is not biodegradable food, anything combustible, metal or plastic, bones, grease. You may experience problems if you put egg shells, cigarette butts, large amounts of any vegetables, rice or pasta. To clean your disposal, running ice cubes in the disposal will help keep it clean and sharpen the blades to the sharpness they need to be, which is not real sharp. The blades can be replaced if they are damaged but this normally cost about what a new disposal would cost. Click on the links below for more information.

Garbage disposer care

Garbage Disposers-Care

I won't get paid unless you click the green "accept" icon. A bonus is always appreciated. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. Leaving feedback can benefit us both.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is there anything that can be put in the disposal to sharpen the blades?
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

Please look at the following link.

Sharpening Garbage Disposal Blades

Do not accept this answer if you are not happy with the information I supplied. Customer satisfaction is more important to me than getting paid.