Josh, Construction and Mechanical
Experience:  Construction / Remodeling and Related Fields / Mechanical Repair

Is there a diswasher that is easy to winterize for a house ...

Is there a diswasher make and model that is easy to winterize for a house shutdown in a cold and snowy climate? That is, can it be easily and fully drained of water? Our summer cabin is in the California Sierra at 6,000 ft. This past year, even with draining, a section of the diswasher froze, cracked a water entry holding bulb, and when we started it up in the spring, we had a flood. The part was replacable, but since the diswasher is very old, we are going to replace it, along with other appliances, hence my basic question
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.

Hi John,

Thank you for your question.

Well all brands of dishwashers basically operate in the same manner using the same components. Some have different features, but ultimately the distribution of water is relatively the same. So I would recommend buying a dishwasher that fits your budget and offers the features you desire.

As for winterizing a dishwasher, a good method is to use RV antifreeze (click here) to keep your new dishwasher from freezing while you are away. This type of antifreeze is formulated for use in potable water systems and plumbing and won't harm the components inside. This "wet" method is much easier than disconnecting all the components and trying to drain them. Steps are as follows.

1. Make sure the dishwasher is as empty as it can get after a normal cycle. Any residual water left in the basin can be soaked up with a sponge.

2. Turn off the household water supply and open every faucet in the house and leave them open for the winter. Pour about a gallon of the RV antifreeze into the basin of the dishwasher. Run the dishwasher for a about 10 seconds to allow the antifreeze to cycle through the various parts and then shut it off. That's all you need to do. When you return in the summer, just run it through a cycle to clear out the antifreeze and you should be ready for normal use. You can experiment with this method now during the summer months if you'd like a first hand perspective.

I hope you find this answer helpful, and thank you again for your question.

Josh, Construction and Mechanical
Experience: Construction / Remodeling and Related Fields / Mechanical Repair
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem was in the water intake flow, and there was a resevoir about the size of a lemon where inbound water was contained. I don't believe it empties when we drain the system, so it froze and burst. Any idea about that? Your answer was helpful, but could you help further on this issue.
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.

Hi John,

Thank you for your follow up.

The part you are referring to is the water inlet valve. When the timer sends voltage to this valve, it opens and allows the water to pass inside your dishwasher. To address this issue in the future, I would run the dishwasher empty one last time before you leave for the winter. But turn off the water supply before doing so. This will clear the line and valve of any residual water and once the dishwasher isn't getting the water supply it needs, it will shut off. You may need to run it twice depending on the amount of water it uses and the amount in the line itself. You can then cancel the cycle, and follow the instructions above for winterizing. The only other way to fully clear the valve is to manually disconnect the water line, disconnect the valve, and drain it. Re-install the valve in the summer when you return. But I assume this is what you are trying to avoid when buying your new dishwasher. Unfortunately, all dishwashers use a valve such as this, therefore the brand won't affect this necessary procedure.

I hope this addresses your other question, and I'm sorry I wasn't more thorough in my first answer.

Thank you again,