Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener

my maytag refrigerator wont stay cold

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Is the freezer compartment cold and keeping ice?

What is the model of your refrigerator?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Edward67's Post: The refrigerator is a Maytag Model ABD2533DEW and is about 2-1/2 years old. The light works but the refrgerator and freezer won't stay cold. We have turned it off overnight and turned it on in the morning and it will get cold for for 4-6 hours and then start to warm up. the Ice Maker is not making ice. We have cleaned the coils already.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.
First you will need to remove the inside back panel of the freezer and see if there is ice buildup. The most common reason for this problem is something defective in the defrost circuit. It could be the defrost heater, defrost thermostat (also called the bi-metal switch), loose poor connection or other parts of the defrost circuit. It could also be the main control board which is used in this model instead of a defrost timer. Checking these parts with an ohm meter will indicate which part is defective. The ice buildup will not allow the cold air to circulate correctly. Check the heater and defrost thermostat and get back to me with the results. There could be other things that can cause these problems and we can diagnose the problem better when you let us know about the ice buildup.