The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I would like to know how to wire two phones together ...

Customer Question

I would like to know how to wire two phones together in order to ring out wires, so I can have a set of my own. Can anyone help me? Thanks for taking the time.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 9 years ago.

Hi .. help me understand a couple details please

Are you wanting to use these to test the phone wires??

so you are trying to make a butt set ?

get back to me and I will research more while I am waiting .. Thanks .. Rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I was working with some guys last week, we were wiring a panel with #14 wire. the guy had 2 phones (handsets only) each had 2 wires with alligator clips on the end. At each end of the wire we hooked one clip on the wire and the other on a ground. we could then hear each other through the wire one the phones. He said he did not remember how to hook them up. another one said it was complicated. If you could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Amy
Expert:  Rich replied 9 years ago.

Hi

In order for the phones to work I think you need some source of power. In the Navy we had hand sets that were "sound powered" they worked with the action of the sound on the diaphragm only .. not sure if you can do that with these modern phones or not .. If you could it would be by finding the wires that are on the diaphragms and some way hooking them to the wires you want to test.

I am still looking ..

Hope this has been helpful ... if it has been, please check the "accept" box .. You also have an opportunity to leave feedback ... and a bonus if you think it worthy ... Thanks .. Rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that they both have a 9V battery. And, they are not the newer phones, they are like the ones that used to hang on the walls.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If I accept, will I still get more information on this subject? So far I am very satisfied with your help. But,I still don't know how the 2 phones are wired.
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Basicly what they had done is make an always on intercom, and use the electrical wires as the transmission line. I will see if I can find you a schematic.

Thank you for your patience

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
a schematic would be well worth it. I look forward to it.

Update.

So far i have found drawings for a hand set turned into a microphone, a set for turning an old hand set into a cell phone., a set to build your own spy device. and a few other miscellanious devices.

If I had two of the darnd things I could build a set (which I plan to do anyways thanks to your question) and then give you a step by step guide.

But in the mean time I am looking. Please be patient.

Thank you.

Ok I got desparate and called an electro geek friend of mine. He will have the drawing for me tomorrow night

Hang in there.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: I am still here and anticipating the drawing. I am an honest person and am good on my word. I will gladly accept when my question is answered.
Thanks for your research.

Sorry for the delay Amylynns. I had to go out of town early this am to pick up a stranded friend.

Here is the diagram that Whiz Kid did for me. I hope it works. He said that the theory is good but it is untested. Let me know if it does not work.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I would like some clarity on where the wires come from (ear piece or mouth piece ). The phone I have has 4wires to the mouth piece- red,black and 2 white wires going to the ear piece. And where is the two wires with the clips on them?

ok the wires will coincide with the wires that go to a regular phone jack that goes into the phone.

Here is an edited drawing.

graphic

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU!!
Amylynns; Dont thank me yet. See if it works first ok