Josh, Construction and Mechanical
Experience:  Construction / Remodeling and Related Fields / Mechanical Repair
4227595

What is the resistance in ohms of an oven baking element

I want to measure the resistance of the heating element of the oven. I calulate at 240V and an 2600watt element should give me about 22 ohms. E(voltage) squared divided by watts equals resistance. Is this correct? Does a ohm meter read the resistance of the oven element?
Thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.

Hi John,

First of all lets get some of formulas out of the way.

Voltage = Amps x Resistance (V=I xR)

Amps = Voltage / Resistance (I =V/R)

Resistance = Voltage / Amps (R= V/I)

Watts = Amps x Voltage (P = E X x I)

Power = the square of the Amperage x Resistance (P = I^2 x R)

Now we simply have to solve for what measurement we need.

What is the oven rated at (how many amps)?

Do you only have one element or multiple? Here's an example for you.

Say your oven is rated at 15 amps. 240 volts and you have only one element.

240 volts / 15 Amps = 16 Ohms of resistance per element. But if you have more than

one, you need to distribute the amperage equally for all. Example.

15 amps 240 volts and there are 4 elements.

15/4 =3.75 amps per element.

240 volts/ 3.75 amps = 64 Ohms of resistance for each element.

And yes, the multimeter should be able to read the resistance for you. Just make sure you have it set on the proper voltage for what you are checking. I hope this steers you in the right direction. Any additional information will be happily offered. Thank you for your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Josh,
Thanks for your efforts! I do not have the oven here where I am and do not have the nameplate info. I am bench testing the heating element and simply need to know what value to expect when I put my ohm meter across the leads of the element.
Perhaps it was a typo but I am not familiar with the formula P = EX x I.
In an AC circuit, the impedence (Z) is equal to the square of the voltage (E) divided by the apparent power (AP). In a resistive circuit, which the oven element is, I believe we can apply the formula R = E^2/P. If I know the resistance of the element, I can determine if the element will function or not. If I read infinity, I conclude that there is an "open" internally in the element. If I read about 22 ohms, then I know the element is still operable. The element operates at 240V and has a rating stamped on it of 2600W. My question is if this approach will give me the results I am looking for. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.

Hi John,

I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood part of the question. You are just tesing to make sure the element is functioning. I think then, you are on the right track in your calculations. Sorry for the mix up. Sorry my equations are a little rusty as well.

Josh, Construction and Mechanical
Experience: Construction / Remodeling and Related Fields / Mechanical Repair