Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

Loud banging noise from Chimney .driving us ...

Customer Question

Loud banging noise from Chimney…….driving us insane!!

The noise appears when it rains and/or when the wind blows, though not in a pattern or any type of rhythm. The biggest problem is, that it only comes “out” at night to play, and not so good since the chimney rests against the bedroom wall! (I'm a stay home mom, and this never happens during the day, never)

The house is an eight year old two story, well maintained, and the chimney exterior is aluminum-covered cove. We have “googled” around and found no answer that lead us to quiet nights again.

Is there anyone out there that can explain this annoyance?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 9 years ago.

Quick question ??? Do you turn your heat down in the evenings? And from the time you go to bed until you get up how often has the noise been heard?

Dennis (cut2it)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dennis M. Smith's Post: We do turn the heat down at night, but this happens regardless of the furnish being active or not. We are pretty sure this is something weather related(my husband and I dont agree though, he says this sound comes only when it rains, I say either wind or rain).Hard to stay focused in the middle of the night when loosing sleep is an issue.....
The frequency of the banging noise is to compare with carpenter hammering...with few pauses! This is no drip-drop sound and having inspected the attic and inside of chimney, finding no water entering, we are quite sure this is no leaking problem!

Hello again (Customer....) Other than "ghosts" I can only think there must be a movement of some sort with the chimney or chimney liner. This would have to be caused by wind but this doesn't make sense either due to the consistency of the pounding noise. The fact that the noise is not there during the daytime is what led me to think about the heat setting being turned down at night having an influence. One thing you should do is keep the thermostat up for a few evenings to see if the noise stops.

You indicated your chimney was inspected. Was this done from the roof and in the attic.? I would suggest making an attic inspection during the time the noise is going on. It should be possible to trace to a specific location the noise is coming from since it is so loud and consistent.

Unfortunately, this is about all I can offer at this point.

Dennis (cut2it)