The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

How do you clean old canvas pictures?

I found an old canvas pictures in grandmother's attic that is dingy and dirty. Do not know if it is oil painting or not but suspect that it is. Would like to clean it.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer;

Please read the article at the link below. It has a link at the top left to find a conservator in your area when you are done reading it. At the very least please consult with a conservator in your area before attempting any cleaning of the painting. You never know the painting may have a high value. If anything it can bring a bit of beauty and joy to you, and your friends and family, through the comming years if cared for properly.

http://aic.stanford.edu/library/online/brochures/paint.html

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: The answer to my question was basically to take it to a professional. I knew that I could do that already. I was trying to get the name of products with which I could clean the canvas myself. I am sure there are products available as the professionals must use something. Please provide me a list of products that I can use.

Thanks.

Ok here is a do it yourself site made by a professional conservator. It has all the information you need to do most any cleaning or repair of an oil painting.

http://www.restoration-advice.org/Pages/paintings.html

Hmmm Now who would have thought that you can use an onion to clean an oil painting.

Very interesting reading.

As for the chemicals they are all availablre at most hardware and home improvement centers. Or in your home pantry it seems.

Best regards; The Home Smithy