Mr. Mike
Mr. Mike, Civil Engineer
Experience:  Homeowner and fixit fan. What works is what I am interested in.

how do you fix scratches on formica kitchen counter tops

Customer Question

A knife was used to remove super glue from my kitchen coutner top and as a result there are scratch marks on my counter top.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Mr. Mike replied 9 years ago.
Formica scratches more easily than one might think. One person on stated that he was able to remove shallow scratches from his formica counter top with toothpaste and a damp rag.

But here is some more official advice:

For light or shallow scratches, put some furniture paste wax or spray wax, such as Pledge, onto a rag and rub it into the scratch. This won't repair it, but it will camouflage it.
For deep scratches, nicks and chips, you can try using Formica Form Filler, a liquid repair filler that comes in Formica - brand laminate colors. It will reduce the visibility of the blemish, but it won't make it disappear.
If you decide to try this repair, you need to know the color name or number of your laminate to be able to match the filler. You may have to buy several different color tubes of the filler to mix to match certain laminate colors. You can order Formica Form Filler from distributors of Formica laminate. A 2 - ounce tube sells for around $5.

(They received this advice directly from the Formica technical service staff)

Good luck with your repairs!