Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

How do I fix the corner of floor crown molding My dog chew ...

How do I fix the corner of floor crown molding? My dog chewed the corners.

Hi There:

Could you please describe the damage of the crown molding? How much of the corner is gone, and if you can also let me know what area or how old of the molding is.

Also is there any kind of designs on the molding?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Gary's Post: There isn't too much damage to the corners. At least it still looks like a corner. The protruding point of the corners are chewed by a bored Sheltie dog. Almost as if time had worn them down. The CM has a fiber-like filling in it(not real wood). My townhouse was built in 2000. The CM is not carved with intricacy, but it has a few decorative grooves at the top of the board.

Good morning (Customer) Your best solution for this repair is to use an epoxy filler. A particularly good one for this situation is brand name Bondo. Readily available at the home improvement stores. You will be able to fill in the damaged area quite easily with the paste like material. Do this with a disposable putty knife, also at the same place you pick up the epoxy. The slight decorative grooves can be matched fairly closely by just dragging your putty knife or other tool to recreate the design. It won't be perfect at this point but later when the epoxy has hardened you will sand it down to a smooth and matching finish. Painting is the final step.

Dennis (cut2it)

Note: Hold off on selecting the "accept" button if you have additional questions. If this answer works for you go ahead and make the "acceptance" and you may then, also use the "feedback" feature. With this you may leave input on the quality of my answer. This JA Web Site uses this input to evaluate it's contributing "experts" on an on going basis. Thank you in advance for doing this.. Dennis

Experience: Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.