The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GENERAL CONTRACTOR ...

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GENERAL CONTRACTOR AND A CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

A general contractor is a person that is licenced to perform work for others under contract. The contract is a legaly binding document that is secured on the contractors side by a bond that must be maintained by the contractor as part of the licencing conditions. This protects the party that is contracted with from bad professionalisim and shoddy work These licences are issued by the state he wishes to contract for work in. In order to have a general contractors licence here in California you must pass the contractors test, be bondable for 10,000 dollars, be insured, maintain workers compenasation insurance, and be able to perform the tasks for at least 3 of the major trades. An example would be: concrete, framing, and roofing. Or framing, electrical and plumbing. Although most general contractors build their structures with their own resources of equipment and personel many will "sub" the trades out to sub contractors.

A construction manager is a repersentative of a company. The company, usually a corporation, holds the general contractors licence. They maintain all insurances, and bonds. The manager performs the duties of a general contractor under that licence.

I hope this has answered your question. If you are in any way unsatisfied with my answer do not accept it. Reply with what you wish to know and I will answer you promptly. If this has answered your question then please be sure to click the accept button.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
this is not the correct answer. The AIA distinguishes between a general contractor contract and a construction management contract. This is for commercial projects, generally, not building a single home. What I need to know is "what is the difference in the responsibilities of each" The answer I got relates to an individual that works for a general contractor and is not the right answer.

HiCustomer

I'm sorry but I do not know thew answer to that question. The majority of my experience has been on the working mans end of projects and not the upper management end.

I apologize for any inconvenience and will now opt out if your question.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The question is simple. What is the difference between a construction management contract and a general contractor contract

A construction management contract is a contract that is entered into between a management firm or consulting agency and the owners of a project. The management contractor then becomes the entity that coordinates all the phases of constructing the project for the owners. The management contractor obtains contracts from general contractors or subcontractors to do the actual building of the project The management contractor also acts as liaison between the designers / architects, the owners, and the builders. Advising all of them as to the most efficient, and economical, methods, supplies, and procedures, to complete the project within the budgets and guidelines desired by the owner.

A general contractors contract is entered into by the contractor and the owner to do the actual building of a structure. This may be done through a management company / consulting firm, or with the owner them self. Either way the contract is with the owner and not with the management company. The management company ensures that all contracts are executed properly and in the best interest of the owners.

As an example:

Corporation X wants to build another ten of there popular widget stores. They are not familiar with the contractors, codes, suppliers etc. in all the towns they wish to have the new stores built in.

They then contract with Know-em-all consulting to manage the construction of the new stores. Know-em-all then coordinates the building of the stores by local contractors, ensures that quality work is being done and done properly, schedules delivery of supplies, Schedules sub contractors and keeps the project within the time frame and budgetary limits as set by Corporation X.

I think that this is what you are asking. As I stated before I have never been in upper management nor do I have a degree in busness. So if this is not what you are looking for let me know and Ill hit the books again.

If it is then please be sure to click on the accept button.

Best regards; The Home Smithy