Jennifer
Jennifer, Handywoman
Experience:  I practice the 3 c's: Clear, concise, and correct! Expect no less for answers to your questions!
3585979

What causes purple residue in swimming pool How do I

Customer Question

My in ground swimming pool has purple residue like a powder in it. The pool company swears the chemicals are OK? They also say they do not have any idea how to get rid of it and cannot find any info on it.    How do I get rid of it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jennifer replied 9 years ago.
Customer

My research indicates that your purple stain may be caused by Manganese, a metal. Have your water tested for Manganese, as well as the water that you are using to fill. If your fill water isn't the problem, check your pH, alkalinity, and TDS to make sure that your pool water isn't corroding your pool or pool equipment.

You can speak to your pool professionals about how to clean up metals from your pool. One method that may work is using a shock treatment, then scrubbing and vacuuming as needed. Enzyme based pool chemicals may also help. Using an ascorbic acid based or diphosphonic acid based product may also be successful if applied directly to the stain and rubbed (using the proper precautions, of course).

Best of luck!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer's Post: I do not have a purple stain; it is a purple powder residue and not caused by Manganese. The pool is shocked weekly by a pool service company and chemicals kept at the correct levels.
Expert:  Jennifer replied 9 years ago.
Do you have a list of the products being used in your pool?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No, the pool company provides the products. However, since mine is the only pool they service with purple residue, I must ascertain it is not the product that is discussed elsewhere on the web.