Terry
Terry , Carpenter
Experience:  15+ years as a carpenter and 35+ years in construction
2168231

How do i turn the water back on in my home

My husband turned of the water in our home and now we can not get it back on.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.
Did he turn it off at the meter or where it comes into the house.And why can't it be turned on?
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 9 years ago.

Hello Terry, where was the valve that he turned off located? Also did it take a special tool to turn it off?

Dennis (cut2it)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: I turned it off inside the home. The water now onl trickels out of the faucet.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dennis M. Smith's Post: I turned it of in the house just by turning handle at the soource where it comes in. i did not use a special tool. now it only trickles out of the faucet
Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.
You're going to have to shut the water off at the main (where the meter is),you'll need a "Crescent" wrench. Next you need to dismantle the problem valve.After the pressure is gone out of the line,open the valve halfway
and remove the handle. Now remove the top of the valve (where the valve stem comes through) and unscrew the stem out. I'm guessing that the washer has started disintegrating and the pieces are where the problem is.Clean it out as well as possible (sometimes it helps to turn the main back on for a second the flush out all the trash) ,replace the washer with a new one and reassemble .Don't over tighten the valve cap or you won't be able to turn the valve (get it snug,turn the water on and tighten it until there's no leaks then give it another 1/4 turn
Terry, Carpenter
Experience: 15+ years as a carpenter and 35+ years in construction