The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Unlocked commercial doors are unlocked with pushbar raised.

Customer Question

On a commercial building we have four commercial glass entrance doors (Brand name,Kawneer). When anyone unlocks the door with a key to enter, rotating the key one full turn, the door is unlocked. Once inside, the remaining doors are unlocked with an allen wrench. The problem is, when the doors are locked with the allen wrench at the end of the day, the exit push bar is raised and most people think that the doors are locked when the push bar is raised. The door that was unlocked with the rotation of the key remains unlocked even though the push bar is in the raised position. All the doors have a rod mechanism on the top and bottom of the door to lock into the frame of the door. The doors that do not have an exterior key mechanism automatically lock when you exit through that door with the push bar raised, and you cannot reenter. Is there anything that can be changed so a locked door can be visual by the raised push bar?
John Schwab
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Hi John;

This may sound silly but try painting the bottom of the bars in the down unlocked position so that when raised to the locked position the paint becomes visable. Using hi visability paint like flouresent orange should do the trick. Reflective tape can also be used and it wont wear off like the paint.

I hope this has answered your question. If it has then please be sure to click on the accept button.

Best regards; The Home Smithy.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: My problem is not whether the push bar is up or down. The problem is,if the bar is visually in the up position, the door may still be unlocked from the key lock mechanism being unlocked initially. I believe I may have to talk to the locksmith that had changed the lock sets recently. I believe the situation with this style door may be something we have to live with unless the locksmith has a solution. Most of our people when they unlock the door and enter, they relock the door with the key and then unlock the door from the inside with the allen wrench. Therefore upon leaving at the end of the day when you raise the bar to lock the doors they are are locked if the lockset has been relocked initially. What I have found that not every one understands that situation.
Thanks for your help,

Your very welcome John.

Please let us know if you have any other concerns regarding this subject.

Best regards; The Home Smithy