Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Handywoman
Experience:  Landscaping, Gardening, Pests, Interior/Exterior Decorating, Feng Shui, Pools/Ponds

how do you get water stains out of a marble table top

Customer Question

over the years the table top a accumulated a number of water stains. i've various solutions with no results
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.

Hi Tracy,

You will get a lot of advice, and like you said you've tried various solutions with no results. The very best way to get rid of those marks is to refinish the marble. If it's not a huge piece you may be able to get someone to do it for a reasonable price. Of course you could (gasp!) try doing it yourself. Some sanding, elbow grease and reshining....ok, maybe it sounds a little easier than it is, and of course you could make a mistake that could look worse than the it's really up to you (and your confidence level at diy). If you decide you want to try diy, let me know and I'll send you some sites that have directions and info. Let me know.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask, it costs nothing to click reply. If this has helped, please remember to click the green accept button.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
this is a coctail table and is too expensive to have the marble refinished.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.

tracey, I'm going to opt out and see if anyone has better info for you. Because marble is a porus material, its very difficult to put something on it to get stains out. In my opinion refinishing is the only option, aside from a doily or tablecloth. If you accept my answer that's fine, if not, maybe someone else has ideas. Good luck.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ms. Chase, thanks for trying.there seems to be no other answer but to refinish, which we will not do.
Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.
Try a 50% / 50% mix of bleach and water,soak an old white towel with the mix and set it on the stain for an hour or so (keep the towel good and soggy).
<br /> Like Ms. Chase said,the best thing is refinishing but this should help get the worst out
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
tried that as well. as i noted to Ms Chase refinshing is out of the question. We'll just have to live with it for some more years. many of my children said try here,even though we've tried many things.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.

Well Tracey, I hope next time you have a problem we can do a better job for you. Please don't let this one time keep you from trying us again, and we thank you so much for giving us a chance.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: I find it to be ludicrous to pay for an answer that i did not want to do in the first place. Maybe i shoud have included that in my request
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.

Hi Tracey,

You do not have to pay for an answer if you are not satisfied. In fact, you will not have paid for your answer, unless you click accept, which you have not. If you want to talk to someone about getting your money back, please email [email protected], and someone will help you.

Again, thank you for your question, and I apologize that we weren't able to help you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My question had to do with stains on a marble table top. You said to refinish it, which i do not want to do!
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 9 years ago.

I'm not arguing the fact that you were not satified with my answer. Marble is a porus surface, when it becomes compromised, you can put another solution on it to soak in, but that rarely does the trick, as you said in your own words. That leaves the option of refinishing the surface. I understnad it's not something you want to do, but that does not make it a wrong answer.

Again, you have not paid for this only pay me if you click the green accept button, which you have not done. I do not want you to pay for an answer that you are not happy with. If you have any other questions, let me know.