Mariah
Mariah, Handywoman
Experience:  Home owner remodeling general repairs
2659571

How do I refluff or reinflate the foam on my couch

Customer Question

I have a piece of foam for the seat part of my couch and it has become flat from sitting on, is there any way to make it not flat anymore?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Mariah replied 9 years ago.
if you are trying to do the cushins you can try using the blow part of your vacuum to put some air back in them...however it has been my experience thatthis does not last for very long. I finally had to purchase new foam from hobby lobby and insert it into the couch.
If you need any more info on this please write back I will be happy to help further.
Thanks
Mariah
Expert:  Mariah replied 9 years ago.
if you are trying to do the cushins you can try using the blow part of your vacuum to put some air back in them...however it has been my experience that this does not last for very long they go fla again pretty quickly. I finally had to purchase new foam from hobby lobby and insert it into the couch.
Thanks
Mariah
Mariah, Handywoman
Experience: Home owner remodeling general repairs
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mariah's Post: I also read somewhere that a steam iron would work because of the steam, does that sound right. How do I put the air back in with the vacuum? I understand the blow part but do I move it around to all the areas? I just want to make it ok for Thanksgiving so a quick fix is what I'm looking for and then what type of foam do you think would be better for the couch?

Thank you for you time and clarification. Have a nice holiday.
Lori Shaw
Expert:  Mariah replied 9 years ago.

to use the vacuum technique you move the blow hose to all the areas that you would like to fluff up,... that you can reach. if any of the cushions are loose you can put them in a lawn and leaf bag and blow air into the bag.if they are the type of cushions that don't really have a shape and they are not too large you can put them into the dryer on air with a clean tennis shoe. or a tennis ball.. that type of thing.

I have never tried the steam iron...I don't think i would want to place the iron directly on the fabric..but if you have the type of iron that has the steam shooter..held just above the fabric....I would try it, if it were mine ..let me know how it comes out if you try the steam.
Good Luck
Happy Thanks Giving

Expert:  Mariah replied 9 years ago.

I forgot to share the foam details. The foam should be the dencist you can find in a sheet or shreaded foam in the bag ...they both could have the pounds on it like 50 lb or 80 lb. get the highest number you can. this technique can be done before thanks giving..it does not take a lot of time. Just open a seam in the back bottom of the cushion put the new oam in and tack it shut for now after thanks giving is over you can stitch it up to be strong.

http://www.fabricsbyous.com/hd1.htm

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mariah's Post: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try both methods and if I have time I will replace the cushion but most definately in time for Christmas. You have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it.

Lori Shaw
Expert:  Mariah replied 9 years ago.

good luck

Mariah