Terry
Terry, Carpenter
Experience:  15+ years as a carpenter and 35+ years in construction
2168231

how can i get rid of mildew/mold in my bedroom closets

Customer Question

i own a two family house. the first is rented. i live in the apartment that is a duplex.2 bedrooms are upstairs with a full bathroom. the bathroom doesn't have a window. i am having problems with mildew in the closets. the bathroom is between each bedroom. i hired a contractor to redo the vents so as to blow the heat/condensation when taking a shower outside. initially it was blowing within the walls. a vent was installed so any condensation/humidity will blow outside. the bathroom doesn't have this mildew problem. a month later the mildew problem in the closets resurfaced. the clothes in each closet are moist/mildew and and a white powdery stain are on the clothers. i was told that one possible problem may be that the walls are not properly insulated. i forgot to mention that one of the closets had a skylight. when i purchased the house it was covered with sheet rock. last year i hired a contractor to redo the roof. do you think that because the skylight was there and covered with sheet rock, might be the cause of the problem?   do you have any recommendations as to how i can deal control the mildew.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Terry replied 7 years ago.
I'd suggest that before you do anything,you find out for sure where the moisture is coming from. As long as it stays wet you're going to have mold/mildew problems.
The roofers might have broken the seal between the roof and the skylight ,they might have missed sealing in somewhere (if possible,climb in your attic and look for water stains) or you could have a leak from plumbing in the wall.
After that's fixed (and the drywall is completely dry) just spray the entire area with a 50%-50% mix of water/bleach.Wipe down the area after it dries to remove any dead mold and prime the entire closet with something like "Kilz" then repaint.with a mold inhibitor added to the paint
Terry, Carpenter
Experience: 15+ years as a carpenter and 35+ years in construction
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the house doesn't have an attic. you can have access to the roof directly from the closet. the roof work was done last year so i still have warranty on the work. do you recommend that i contact the contractor who did the work on the roof. i don't think that there is a problem with the plumbing in the wall. the only thing that is affected are the ceilings in the closets. so from what i gather on your reply, the problem has nothing to do with insulation. i have been told that since the walls face the outside maybe, i don't know, this may be the cause. what do you think.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
mildew/moisture on ceiling in both bedroom closets on 2nd floor below roof. the house doesn/t have an attic. you can have access to the roof directly from the closet. the roof work was done last year. i still have warranty on the work. i don't think that there is a problem with the plumbing inside the walls. the only thing that is affected are ceilings in the closets. like i mentioned before, there was a skylight, before it was covered when the roof contractors did work on it. from your reply, the problem has nothing to do with the insulation. i have been told that since the walls face the outside of the house, maybe, i don't know, that could be the problem. what do you think?
Expert:  Terry replied 7 years ago.
I've never seen a house with a mildew problem because of no insulation. It just wouldn't collect much moisture no matter what.
If you're sure about the plumbing then the roof is the only other source.
If you have any friends in construction ,it wouldn't hurt to have them take a look at the roofing job and then call the roofer back (most roofers don't like call-backs)(looks bad).
Is there any "puddling" in the closet after a hard rain??