Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

HOW DO I REPLACE A CRACKED FLU PIPE IN A CHIMNEY

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Rsposta4u's Post: I had a chimney sweep clean a chimney for me on a house we are purchasing and he said that the top section of a clay flue pipe is cracked and should be replaced. Does this mean taking down the brick and mortar to get at the pipe and then rebuilding or can the pipe be broken out and replaced without doing all that?
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 7 years ago.

Good morning (rchkilme...) First of all is there any chance you could have another person take a look at the cracked pipe? This would be quite easy to view since you've indicated it is a top section. The chimney "cap" will lift off easily for viewing. Reason to check this is, often a crack is not significant enough to have to do anything and even if it is there is a special caulking that can be applied to the crack rather than a full replacement of the pipe. Now, if it is badly cracked and needs replacement it is not going to be too big of a job. Again, since it's a top section it will be readily accessible to make the repair or replacement.

I'm suggesting "another person" to do this checking because it's not a bad idea to have a second opinion on something like this.

Dennis (cut2it)

NOTE: If you have additional questions hold off on making the "accept" and get back to me. If this does satisfy your question you may go ahead and accept now. Also you may use the "feedback" feature if you would care to leave input on the quality of my answer.

Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 7 years ago.

Hello

A crack in a flue can be very dangerious . My suggestion would be a flue liner. The stainless steel flue liners are a lot safer and can easily be installed. You will never have to worry about them cracking and they are easier to keep clean. More information can be found by clicking here.

If you have additional questions, please ask.

If my answer is unacceptable in any way, please let me know. I will do my best to get you an acceptable answer. If you were happy with answer to your question, please click the green accept button. After making the accept, please leave positive feedback on Just Answers when you get a moment. Feedback can be left by using the link below.

http://www.justanswer.com/leave_feedback.asp

Thanks again!

Joe Booker

********Thanks for using Just Answer********

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dennis M. Smith's Post: Thanks for your reply, but it still doesn't tell me how to replace the top section of flue pipe. Can i break it out and install a new sextion without disturbing the bricks around it or do I need to tear down the bricks to replace it?

Please note in my previous answer I explained that the crack being in the "top" section will make the repair or replacement quite easy. This pipe will actually be protruding above the top of the bricks. If it is badly cracked and can't be repaired it can be broken and removed from right there. No bricks will need to be removed. Although this pipe could be stabilized with mortar between it and the bricks. This is still a relatively simple repair.

Mr. Booker, with our JA site has indicated the danger with a cracked flue pipe and replacing with a new stainless steel liner for the clay pipe. Sometimes this could indeed be a real concern, however. I believe Mr. Booker may have overlooked your indication that the crack was the "top" section. With this being the location it is unlikely there would be any danger at this time.

Also, please remember before having this repaired or replaced to obtain a second opinion of the severity of the crack.

Dennis (cut2it)

Experience: Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.