Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Electronics, Master Gardener, Teacher, Graphic, Maintenance, Mechanic, Mason, Home Owner
1468671

how do i turn down the radiator

Customer Question

I am looking to turn down my home radiator. The one next to my bed is burning very hot. The wheel on the top part of the valve is missing. if i were to use a pliers which direction do i turn the valve to shut the radiator off or preferably turning it down. I believe this is a two pipe system because there is one on each side of the radiator. the radiator is an old cast iron radiator from the american radiator company and it has a crane valve,also, i believe it runs on hot water. any info would be greatly appreciated. Also where can i get the wheel to refit the valve with one in place of using pliers for future adjustments.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 9 years ago.

The wheel or handle can be purchased at any well equipped hardware or building supply store. Just measure the shaft to allow the proper size to be purchased. If you lay a piece of paper on top of the shaft and rub lightly with a led pencil it will give you an accurate image of the size you need. My wife has always taught or children that right is tight, and left is loose. Turning in right or clockwise will close the valve.

If my answer is unacceptable in any way, please let me know. I will do my best to get you an acceptable answer. If you were happy with answer to your question, please leave positive feedback on Just Answers when you get a moment. Feedback can be left by using the link below.

http://www.justanswer.com/leave_feedback.asp

Thanks again!

Joe Booker

************************************

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Rsposta4u's Post: lefty lucy, right tighty doesn't appear to work in this situation. i have tried that already.
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 9 years ago.

The valves can be very hard to turn. I would recommend if you have to use something other than the proper handle it should be vice grips. There is still a possibility of messing up the shaft. Spraying a lubricant like WD 40 may help loosen the valve. Any lubricant that is used will take awhile to penetrate the valve. It will not be an instant process.

Thanks again!

Joe Booker

************************************