Rsposta4u, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Electronics, Master Gardener, Teacher, Graphic, Maintenance, Mechanic, Mason, Home Owner

can i plant grass seed after first frost

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 10 years ago.

It would be possible to plant grass seed after a frost, but if the temperature does not warm up, the grass seed will not germinate. Old time gardeners, where there was a lot of snow, used to plant grass seed just before a snow. The grass would then sprout in the spring, when the snow melted. It would most likely be best to wait till spring to sow the grass, if your area does not normally keep a cover of snow all year. Otherwise, most likely, all you will be doing with the grass seed is feeding the birds and rodents.

If my answer is unacceptable in any way, please let me know. I will do my best to get you an acceptable answer. If you were happy with answer to your question, please leave positive feedback on Just Answers when you get a moment. Feedback can be left by using the link below.

Thanks again!

Joe Booker