Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Electronics, Master Gardener, Teacher, Graphic, Maintenance, Mechanic, Mason, Home Owner
1468671

What is the best way to attach heat tape to a metal roof

I have a metal roof with a snow guard on the north side of my house. There is a gable in the middle of the roof line. The builders put a pipe vent very near one valley. The snow/ice builds up there and stays all winter. the ice will back up under the roof some. My question is how can I attach heat tape to the metal roof, so it won't blow off? I need to go horizontal on the roof, then up the valley of the gable and down, and run along the remainder of the roof (horizontal. I won't drill holes in the roof.

Normally Jiffy Clips are used but they require either holes or can be soldered on. It might be possible to use a product like JB Weld to attach the clips. I have used self adhesive plastic clips to attach Christmas lights and I have some that have been attached for over 7 years and are still firmly attached. I don't see why they could not be used to attach the heating cable. Other suggestions I would have would be silicone calk, Aluminum tape or some of the Gorilla Glue products like their glue or Gorilla tape.

If my answer is unacceptable in any way, please let me know. I will do my best to get you an acceptable answer. If you were happy with answer to your question, please leave positive feedback on Just Answers when you get a moment. Feedback can be left by using the link below. http://www.justanswer.com/leave_feedback.asp

Thanks again!

Joe Booker

************************************