Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

how do you get pictures off the glass of a picture frame.

how do you get pictures off the glass of a picture frame. Water was spilled on everything and now the picture is almost glued on it.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 9 years ago.
Hello Gus,... If your intention is to save the picture your best solution is to take it to a professional photo restore shop. You might have to call photography studio in your area to get a referral to one of these restore places. The reason you need to use this sort of professional service is we can't buy the chemicals required that will release but not harm the picture.

If you don't care about saving the picture just pull it off and use a single edge razor blade to clean the glass. Although I suspect you already knew of this solution.

Thanks for your question and please select the "accept" button but still get back to me if you have additional questions.

Dennis (cut2it)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to cut2it's Post: I have 8 pictures like this, it was too expensive to have it done at the photo express, this is why I thought you might have a solution that I could do at home. They had no guarantee even though i had to pay.
Hello again Gus,.... unfortunately you may have to absorb the expense or only do a couple of pictures. I have an idea you could try but I also can't guarantee or warrant the results.

Choose one (least favorite) picture and while holding the glass on edge at about a 45 degree angle apply warm water to the top edge. If the edge can be released continue with water behind the picture. Not a lot of water, just enough to get the picture and glass wet enough to release.

If this works, great!!! The picture can now be dried between something with a little weight on it. Unlikely it will ever again be 100%...

If this doesn't work try the same approach but this time mix about 1 tablespoon of white vinegar with an 8 oz glass of warm water. Start this application on an opposite edge of the picture.

Man, I hope one of these works for you I know how sad it can be to loose personal pictures. I had a boat house burn down to the water and I lost thirty years of pictures from travels almost around the world.

Best of luck,   Dennis