Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.

how do i break up a hard mound of rock salt so i can spread it

looking to use a liquid to break up hard rock salt that has been left outside
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 10 years ago.
Hello Mark,... I don't know of any "liquid" application that would breakup rock salt. In fact I believe a liquid would worsen the possibility of breaking it up. You didn't indicate the size of the mound but here is an approach to use if it's not too gigantic.
You'll need a power drill with 3/8th to 1/2 " bit and as long of a shaft that you have. Also needed is a wedge like from an axe or hatchet. If neither of these is available you can use a pry bar or crow bar but the wedge is easier work. Drill holes all over, as deep as possible, and about 2 or 3 inches apart. Pound in the wedge and bust out chunks of salt. Smash these into smaller pieces with your hammer and put in a plastic bag that is 3 mils in thickness. Put the bags under your car tires and crush them up as much as you can.
During the pounding and hammering process it would be a good idea to wear protective eye glasses.

This should get you where you want to be.. and thanks for the question. Please select the "accept" button but still get back to me if you have additional questions.

cut2it (Dennis)