Keen1, Jack of All Trades Master 3-4
Experience:  MBA, skills from 12 years in construction, also out of necessity, father of 5 active children

my garage door opener will only open 1 foot and stops.

Customer Question

my garage door opener will only open 1 foot and stops. i have tried to adjust the amount of pressure with no success. If i block the sensor, the door stops and and the lights flash. But if not, the door just stops.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Keen1 replied 10 years ago.
First inspect the entire track (and make sure the garage door locks are not extended) you may even want to apply some WD40.

Also, make sure your springs have not broken. That would actually be the first thing to check. Just make sure they are fully extended and able to retract.

The best way to check for ANY obstructions is to disconnect the door from the automatic opener. There should be string hanging down that you can pull to disengage it. Run it up down by hand a few times. If it rolls smoothly, and the springs are not broken it could be the motor in your opener. Keep me posted on what you find and I'll help you through it.