Terri
Terri, Handywoman
Experience:  Masonary construction background, home and commercial, home repair specialist
1978897

can pvc pipe be glued to cpvc pipe

Customer Question

when joining a water line. I tried to join one line that was labled pvc to another that was labled cpvc. The glue did not hold. I was woundering if the reason was these two different types of water lines can not be glued together or maybe the reason the glue did not hold because one was damp?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.
That's how you do it. Here are some tips that might help you:

Steps To Glue PVC Pipe Properly

1. Cut the pipe square

2. Remove the burrs inside and outside the pipe

3. Clean the PVC Pipe with a rag to remove dirt and moisture

4. Check the dry fit (The pipe must enter at least 1/3 of the way in without force! If the fit is too
    tight, file or sand pipe. Don’t make flats or gouges on it)

5. Remove floss by wiping the pipe and fittings with cleaner or a primer, or sand them

6. Apply cement Weaver - Apollo Glue, rhino glue,pvc cement

7. Flow cement on with a full brush

8. Brush a thin coat in the fitting

9. Brush pipe again

10. Keep brush in cement between applications

11. Work fast and don’t use too much cement!

12. Assemble immediately

13. Rotate and bottom the pipe in the socket, while the pipe is still wet

14. Rotate only 1⁄4 turn

15. Hold pipe for about a minute

16. Important: Get help on large sizes or use a mechanical helper

17. Wipe off excess cement-especially the bead

18. Let cement dry

19. Wait 30 minutes. If its 70 degrees or hotter, wait 30 minutes; 40 degrees to 60 degrees ---
    wait 1 hour; 20 degrees to 40 degrees --- wait 2 hours

20. Snake pipe in ditch side to side

21. Shade pipe with backfill

22. Use soft dirt without clods or rocks for the first few inches, leaving joints exposed for inspection

23. Set period

24. Depending on the type of cement, size of pipe, air temperature, dry joint tights, your pipe will
    take a certain time to dry

25. 24 hours is considered to be a safe period to be allowed to stand before testing

Please remember to ACCEPT my answer. Thank-you so much! Justerri