Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Handyman
Experience:  Home owner and handyman, have rebuilt house and car engines, and a train in S. America
586644

why does my water turn the toilet bowl brown

Customer Question

I have city water that come through my hot water heater. we have very soft water here in louisiana.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael L...........JA Construction replied 10 years ago.
Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok we can take a look at this, and get it back up and running, but, I need you to try this; this should solve your problem;

It sounds like you have rust in your tank, remove the lid, and see if you can clean it out with CLR or something like that.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.
By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to JA Construction's Post: no, because it is in both toilets and the tubs too.
Hi and Welcome Back to Just Answer,

Ok, well my thought is that if you have it in your cold water main coming into the house, meaning hat it is in your hot water tank as well, but not showing it as much because of the softener.

It is very possible that your water system has been doing repairs on the lines, Katrina, or well problems. Any of which could cause you to have rust, or Dirt in your lines.

My suggestions is to talk to your water company and see what they have, may or had done that might of caused this, and then see if they are done, or plan to be done soon.

After finding all that out, blow out your lines, by running the water for a few minutes a day till it passes.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to JA Construction's Post: thanks anyway, but I think the problem is here in my house not in the main. I cannot accept that answer, sorry.
ok good luck and I hope you find your problem, I will Opt Out and see if another expert has some thoughts.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.

DearCustomer

I have reviewed the forgoing string. I see that you are having a problem with water that stains your toilet bowl brown.

Although you may have soft water, the definition of soft water does not pertain to the amount of iron you have in solution in the water. Hardness refers to calcium carbonates in the water.

A lot of water will have iron sulfate (ferrous sulfate) in suspension. When it comes into contact with certain other chemicals, it precipitates out as a brown to reddish color and can leave your porcelain stained.

It may not be coming from rust at all, but he precipitation out of ferrous oxide onto the surface of your toilette bowel when it comes into contact with household bleach, or chlorine that is used to purify your water. Fluoridation can also cause some light precipitate. If your hot water heater is not softened, it will show higher amount. Your water softener would filter out some of the ferrous sulfate, as it would adhere to the soften beads in the presence of salt. You an ask the water softener guy to check your water for iron. You can also get some small home testing kits at the hardware store and test it yourself. Pool supply stores also have these test kits.