Marty
Marty, professional remodeler
Experience:  30 years of home remodeling
127262

Downstairs Ceiling (below upstairs Bathroom) Leaking

Customer Question

My bathtub and wall is fiberglass (all in one). Every time I take a bath at night, the next morning, I notice there is a slow drip (hardly any water, not even a teaspoon of water the next morning) in the container that I placed under my ceiling downstairs. The plumber has made a hole in my ceiling downstairs to try to diagnose the leak problem. Can you tell me what might be the problem. Thanks.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  KBauer replied 8 years ago.
Hello Leaky Ceiling,

While I can't diagnose your problem without looking at it, I would recommend turning the water on in the shower and allowing it to run while you view the pipes from downstairs.

Since it is such a small amount, could it be condensation? If your pipes are running hot water, and the basement is very cool, this could naturally occur.

When you do run your shower while you are viewing your pipes from downstairs, make certain to run about the same temperature of water in order to rule out the condensation.

If you find this answer helpful, please hit the accept button. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Thank You

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to KBauer's Post: I do not have a basement. I live in a two story townhouse. The leak in the ceiling is right under the master bathroom. I have tried running water for long periods of time while the plumber is here, but it does not leak when the plumber is here. I have brown spots in the small area where the leak occurs. Do you think it could be the pipes, or maybe the toilet? Please advise. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help. Can someone help?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.
Since you mentioned "bath", I will assume it is during a bath
ONLY!!! If it happens during showers, there are different
possibilities!!

Most likely, it is the drain itself...the seal where the drain meets
the tub has failed. Quick fix /test... use SILICONE caulk to seal
around the perimeter of the drain. If you have a cover over the drain,
(you will see a screw going through the strainer), remove the cover and
apply the silicone to the rim of the drain. Let this sit sit at least 4
hours before applying any water. Next "test" is the "overflow"... this
is the 'thingy' that you flip up or down to keep the water in the tub.
Using a bucket, pour water around the 'thingy' and check the ceiling
below... if the leak gets worse you need a new a washer behind it ( or
possibly just tighten the screws...it may draw the washer in enough to
stop the leak.)

Let me know....Martye

PS...Hitting the "ACCEPT" button would be apprieciated..Thanks

PPS what type of tub is this??? Steel, cast iron , china...etc??