#1 Expert
#1 Expert, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman 40+ years - Gardener for 50+ years - Homeowner 40+ years - Internet Researcher

I need to remove a tub faucet that is STUCK!

I need to remove a tub faucet that appears to just screw off but I can't get it to budge counter clockwise or clockwise. I've used a pipe wrench and armstronged it, but no luck. Anything that will help budge it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Is there an access panel to allow a view of the back of the faucet?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a shower head in the full bath. I have a universal spout with a handheld shower head and hose that I want to replace it with.

I have a full bath with tile half way up the wall. There is no way to get to the back of the faucet. The faucet is stuck away from the tile about 1/8 inch and I can see the pipe it is threaded onto a little. I can also see a bunch of white cement-looking stuff around the fastening site. It has been there a LONG time.

Do I just give it all I've got and hope I don't strip the pipe and the whole works or do I need to use a hammer to loosen it and again hope no worse damage is caused? I read about liquid wrench but don't know if that will penetrate the "cement" that I need to work loose.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 7 years ago.

As long as you can see that it is threaded on.

Any penetrating oil will aid in the removal.

Let it soak in it overnight,

Tapping it lightly will also help loosen the corrosion and aid in the lubricant's penetration.

Be careful not to use to much force or you could have to tear out the wall to replace the plumbing.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what oil would you recommend?
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 7 years ago.

Liquid Wrench is a very good product.

If you don't have that WD40 will work.

#1 Expert, Handyman
Experience: Handyman 40+ years - Gardener for 50+ years - Homeowner 40+ years - Internet Researcher