KBauer
KBauer , Handywoman
Experience:  Appraiser, experienced with realestate rehabs.
1727678

What product can I use to get mineral deposits off my slate ...

Customer Question

What product can I use to get mineral deposits off my slate rock waterfall? We have tried using lime away, used a wire brush, power washer, scraper, some of the white deposit has come off but a lot is still there.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  KBauer replied 10 years ago.
Their is a product called CLR that will effectively remove your mineral deposits. It is a liquid and you can use a brush with it as well.

It should be used as sparingly as possible and you should try to keep it out of the fountain's main water supply.

If you find this answer acceptable, please hit the accept button. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Thank You

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to KBauer's Post: KBauer,

Thanks we have already tried it, I think I mentioned that in my note, it helped some but we haven't been able to get it all off.
Expert:  KBauer replied 10 years ago.
Mary,

You said that you used Lime away. Did you use the Lime Away or the CLR?

The reason that I ask is that CLR is different than Lime Away.

CLR works on calcium, lime and rust where the Lime away focuses solely on the lime deposits.

The CLR is what is recommended by a manufacturer of fine slate fountains. Vinegar and a warm water solution are also recommended but as with the lime away, the vinegar is not as effective on the calcium build up.

Thank You

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to KBauer's Post: Sorry, I hadn't included it in my note I thought I had, but my husband tried 3 bottles of CLR, and it helped some but we still have a lot left. I really appreciate your taking the time to answser, I was hoping you might have another idea.
Expert:  KBauer replied 10 years ago.
Mary,

The problem with slate is that certain cleaners can destroy the finish. I have researched several sites and most have recommended the CLR cleaner.

I have also located a product called Aqua Mix. Some of their products are sold in national retail chains. You can find the product link below to see if it is sold in your area. It is a professional grade product so it may be a bit stronger than something typically sold for household use.

http://www.aquamix.com/for_professionals/products/pg_detail.asp?pdid=44159&pgid=9833

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to KBauer's Post: Thanks for the link to the Aquamix site, I have sent them the same question and if they think the phosphoric acid will work I would be happy to pay you for your reply and I do appreciate your time.

Thanks so much, Mary