Glenn
Glenn, Electrician
Experience:  former journeyman electrician /maintenance mechanic for 30 years

i need a wiring diagram for a 2 gang light switch

Customer Question

can you send me a diagram for the wiring of a 2 gang light switch
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Handyman-4-Rent replied 8 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for the question - HERE is an excellent link with pictures. Let me know if you need more help with this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Handyman-4-Rent's Post: i had already looked at this but it wasn"t what i needed
Hello - My mistake. A 2 gang switch is basically a regular switch that controls 2 lights from a single power source.(2 switches in a single switch space) You will have a single hot lead in and 2 "switched" leads from the switch(es). The whites and grounds tie together, the Hot lead goes to the switch then the 2 leads to the devices being switched connect to the switch. If you need more help let me know
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Handyman-4-Rent's Post: i have 4 leads coming from the ceiling,1 red,1 green,and 2 blacks,i need to know where the 4th black lead goes into the light fitting.i have tried different places but the light will not switch off,can you help.
thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

How many switches are there for this light ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: hi glenn,this is a 2 gang switch together, 1 for the toilet,1 for the bathroom,bathroom works fine same light fitting but toilet stays on permanently,have changed the switch as well but no change the light will not switch off.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

where are you located ?

is this 220 ?

are both red and black hot wires ?

Is the green earth ground ?

Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.
On the "hot" side of the switch, you will see a small "tab" that
jumps between the two screws.... break this tab, and you'll be all set

Best wishes.... Martye

If you feel like it, please hit the "ACCEPT" button... Thanks again, Martye

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: yes it is 220 volts,red is hot black is neutral and earth is green then i have 1 more black wire?? i live in Ashton UK
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

It looks like you need to connect the 2 blacks togeather and go to one side of the light

The extra black must go to something else

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: i have connected the 2 blacks together but where does the 3rd black wire go,?
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

You originally stated you had 2 blacks a red and a green

Now you have 3 blacks ?

Can you tell me what you have ?