Glenn
Glenn, Electrician
Experience:  former journeyman electrician /maintenance mechanic for 30 years
281739

How to wire a extractor fan

How to wire a separate switch for a extractor fan to a existing light switch.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

-Your location?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My Location is Queensland, Australia.
My problem is I like to install a extractor fan in my bathroom. I like to operate the fan separately to the light switch. How do I wire the fan switch in relation to the light switch? Extractor fan comes with a built in 2 pin 240V power plug.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

-How will you be getting power to the fan?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I guess that is my dilemma. I like to operate the fan on a separate switch sourcing the power off the light circuit. The other end of the wire from the fan switch will have a power socket to which the plug from the fan will link up.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

You need to have the fan operate independently of the light?

With the light off you need to be able to have the fan on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I need to be able to operate both light & fan independently eg don't need light while showering in the day time however will need the fan and similarly while shaving in the evening...will need light but not the fan.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

Would it be possible to use the existing wiring to power the fan and then run line with a switch in it to power the light?

Would you need the light to be on without the fan running?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I would like to be able to have light on without the fan running or fan running without the light on or have both on.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

That will require you to run a hot wire from the light to the fan. Then the netural wire from the light to the fan will have the exra switch added.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Since there is a existing power plug attached to the Fan which when connected to an extension lead - the fan works. Thus I what I like to do is to have a extension code instead of operating off a power point, I like to control it via a fan switch somehow linked to the light switch (the power source).
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry since this is very unprofessional but I must get to bed.

It is 2:45in the morning here and my brain is about dead.

I will send you some diagrams tomorrow if that is ok?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX forward to some diagrams.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

There is no way to wire the fan directly to the fan from the light switch.

The light switch only contains neutral wires. The fan wouls need to be connected to tthe hot wire. Here is another diagram. The wire colors will be different than your actual wire color.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In terms of red & black wires ...how does the hot wire & neutral relate to red & black? I am a handyperson but not much of an electrician.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

I think this expert is confused

Is your fan 220 volt ?

You mention black and red wires are they coming out of the fan ?

Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

"In terms of red & black wires ...how does the hot wire & neutral relate to red & black? I am a handyperson but not much of an electrician.

I was using the terms hot and neutral rather loosely.

Since both wires are hot it would be best to follow the color code used when your house was wired. What ever color wire runs to the light switch, should also go to the fan switch and then back to the fan.

Since you light may be using a radial circuit the diagrams above would not work and the only choice you would have is to run another set of wires from your electrical box.

I would suggest a local electrician be called to complete the wiring to you fan. There are just to many variables possible. Wiring codes have changes in Australia and your home could have several possible wiring arrangements

Electrical wiring should always be done by a qualified electrician following the electrical codes for your location.

To clarify my answers for Just Answer's Experts. The below information is avaliable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_(UK)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60446

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: My Fan is 240V...Australian standards are RED for live and BLACK for neutral. Fan just has a 2 pin power plug on a small lead. there are red and black wires at light switch and in the twin wire that I am going to run from the fan switch to the fan.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

Joe

I have updated my post above.

Please read it as it has additional information.

If you home is in compliance with local codes, your light is using a radial circuit.

One wire comes from the electric panel, and goes to the light, then out of the light into the switch, when it comes out of the switch it continues back to the electrical panel.

This radial circuit, is actually a loop and your fan cannot be powered by this loop.

You may possible want to continue with the other Expert but remember, you do not have to accept any answer you are not pleased with.

If I can be of further assistance I will do best to help.

If not I wish you luck in your quest.

Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello again

I would run another wire to the switch

You only have to use one wire

Jump one wire to the new switch from the light switch

Put it on the what you call netural wire of the fan

Next jump the hot from the fan to the light

Because this is 220 it dosen't matter which wire goes where to the fan

But if you want to follow what's there then follow what you say and switch whatever lead is switched to the light

Glenn, Electrician
Experience: former journeyman electrician /maintenance mechanic for 30 years