Hammerhead, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  Windows Doors Siding Additions Decks

How do i get rid of the smell of creosote

Customer Question

Recently my father gave me to sleepers from the railway. I made them into a fireplace surround, which was very successful. The only problem is that they were soaked in creosote and the smell has taken over my house. I am also starting to get a bit of a sore head too.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Hammerhead replied 10 years ago.
Railway sleepers have been used for furniture, fireplace mantels, garden decor and more. Over the last few years Europe has banned the use of railway sleepers with creosote for indoor use. There is still much controversy over the fact that they are dangerous when used indoors, cut or sanded.
It is recommended that any railway sleeper with creosote, when used indoors, should be completely sealed with a matte or satin finish polyurethane finish. If not sealed and when used indoors, whenever the heat or fireplace is used, the creosote smell tends to get worse, and has been known to cause light headedness, sore throats.
Hope This Helps - Hammerhead