#1 Expert
#1 Expert, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman 40+ years - Gardener for 50+ years - Homeowner 40+ years - Internet Researcher
1146604

My central air conditioner is not blowing cold ...

My central air conditioner is not blowing cold air...just seeping cool air...i have hit the reset button on outdoor unit but still not coming on.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

There could be several things, or a combination of them, causing the problem. I will need the answers to a few questions, to give you a answer. Can you hear the compressor unit, on the out side of the house, trying to kick on, or making any noise? Is the fan running on the outside unit? Is the cool air coming out or your vents with about the same force the heat does when it is heating your home?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: The compressor does not come on at all. The fan is not turning at all in outdoor unit. The air that is coming out of the vents is barely blowing.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.
The compressor not coming on at all could be the breaker or fuse. Some units have a fuse outside in a box and also a breaker or fuse on your electrical panel for the home. No power getting to the outside unit is normally the reason the fan does not blow and will also keep the compressor from coming on. The air not blowing as it should, could be another problem or related to the first. How old it the unit? Is it a energy efficent type?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: Have already tried all circuit breakers. Have also hit reset button on outside unit. Air is flowing thru vents and could be what is normal but air is just cool not cold. Unit is approxiately 15 years old.
Expert:  #1 Expert replied 8 years ago.

The problem is that power is not getting to the outside unit. This could be caused by a bad connection or other electrical problems. If it were a bad compressor or a problem with the outside unit's compressor, the fan on the outside would still blow. The fan not blowing on the outside unit, but the air blowing on the inside confirms that the thermostat is working. Normally the air blowing out of your vents is at a lesser velocity for air than heat. I am sure the problem is electrical related. Most likely not a homeowner fix, unless they have electrical experience. I am sure if the power is checked on the outside unit it will be found that there is none. Checking for power on the outside unit should be done by a professional. Looks like you have done all the checking you should attempt without electrical training. If you need more help I will be glad to assist you.

#1 Expert, Handyman
Experience: Handyman 40+ years - Gardener for 50+ years - Homeowner 40+ years - Internet Researcher