Jeffrey Flaker
Jeffrey Flaker, regular person who likes questions
Experience:  I like perplexing questions
1261894

How do I remove the lock from my gas meter ...

Customer Question

How do I remove the lock from my gas meter?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jeffrey Flaker replied 10 years ago.
There are two parts to your gas meter. Before the meter will be a shutoff which looks like a rectangle....in the on position, this rectangle will be inline with the pipe and off will be perpendicular to the pipe. The valve is a 1/4 turn type.

If you are attempting to access your meter to turn off the gas, you will need to use the shutoff valve inline, but before your meter. If you are accessing your meter for any other reason, such an action may be deemed illegal, as you would be tampering with a device which is not your property and which when tampered with may cause fraudulant billing and may cause a gas leak. If you have a concern with your meter, call your gas company.