Handyman-4-Rent
Handyman-4-Rent, Macgyver
Experience:  35 + years in the building trades - experienced Expert advice
812075

how do i convert a 240 volt line to a 208 volt line

wireing a air conditioning compresser that requires 208 volts
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Handyman-4-Rent replied 10 years ago.
Hello - do you have 3-phase or ? When wiring a 220v unit (compressor, oven etc) 220 is 220. there is no converting from 240 to 208. Wire it in and your OK. Let me know if you have any other concerns with this
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Handyman-4-Rent's Post: i have a 208 volt air conditioning compresser that needs wireing i have 240 volts from the old unit how do i get 208 from a 100 amp 2 phase house hold panel
thanks

Hello - Like I said, there is no converting to 208 volts. If you have 3 wires (white black and bare or green) the white and black are hot and the bare or green is common.

If you have 4 wires (red, black, white, green or bare) then the re and black are hot the white is common and the bare or green is ground.

If you look in the panel you can verify the (hot) colors going to the unit from the breaker, and the common color from the common bar. While your in the box go ahead and measure the voltage at the breaker - likely it will be less than you think. There are step down transformers available but you don't need one. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Handyman-4-Rent's Post: I have 3 wires 2 black and 1 white and a ground . the ac unit needs 208 volts .i have 240 to an add on box i need to know how i can get 208 from the 120 volts or the 240 volts .i work on medical imaging camras and they take 208 volts so i know this can be done but how ?

thanks

OK - the 2 black wires are hot, the white is common, and the ground well is ground. Your A/C compressor will work just fine on the line voltage you have ! Do all of your 110vac lights and appliances have a problem with 120vac ? Did you measure the voltage in the box ? What type of work do you do on these "medical imaging cameras" ? Take a voltage reading on one of them once and you'll see there's more than 208volts feeding them.

Please note also , IF the cameras you speak of are in a hospital setting and actually do have 208 vac feeding them, rest assured that the hospital has a series of filters and transformers and isolation devices and backup power and in some cases even make their own power. All of which come at a great cost, which is outside the reach of the average consumer.