Glenn
Glenn, Electrician
Experience:  former journeyman electrician /maintenance mechanic for 30 years
281739

How to add a SECOND Hot Water Heater to Home

Customer Question

Here is my question.

1. I have a new 80 gallon electric hot water heater fully installed and working in my 3 full bath home with 5 family members that includes teen agers and thus every morning when everyone showers in a row we always run out of hot water.

2. I want to install a second 50 gallon hot water heater next to the 80 gallon heater and hook this up in a safe way.

3. I think the correct way to do this (I will not do it myself, but hire a plumber), but most plumbers have not done this and I want it done right.

4. I think the correct way is to have cold water input into each of the two hot water heaters.... Then, have each of the hot water outlets hooked into the hot water line of the house.... Then, install an expansion tank on I think each of the two hot water heaters so that the combined expansion of each tank does not over pressure the house system?

5. Have I missed anything?

6. The reason I want the second tank to be 50 gallons, vs the original new tank of 80 gallons is that the second tank will then fit nicely next to the 80 gallon.

Thank you,

Frank Jorgensen

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
hello frank i think your on the rite trac but i don't see the need of an expansion tank i would hook both heaters up like u said
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.
Another possibility is to hook the 80 gallon tank up to the cold
water as a "pre-heater"... The hot water from this tank will then go
into the 50 gallon "inlet" from there, the 50 gallon tank "outlet"
(hot) will connect to the house hot water supply. This will allow you
to pre heat 80 gallons of water to , say, 110-120 degrees, set the 50
gallon tank at 130 - 140 degrees (less on both tanks if you have kids
!!) Now the 50 gallon tank will supply the hot water for the house and
if you run low, the water has already been pre-heated to 120 (or
so)...This way, you will realize an energy savings...heating both tanks
to the same teperature, you will not!!!...Make sense????

If so, please click the "accept" button, if not or if you have further questions... please return...Thanks...Martye

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marty's Post: Here is my problem. I have had Lowes reject the solution of a second hot water heater saying it is not safe as it creates too much pressure. I need advice from an expert who flat out knows 100% for certain, not 99%, how to make the solution safe and work. I know it can be done because I was once involved with a hotel that had a hot water problem in some condos not attached to the hotel and they did a multiple household hook up of hot water tanks but the plumbing was done in such a way that was safe and I no longer have contact with the hotel and thus do not know the details. I want someone who either has done this or is 100 %, not 99% sure of the solution.

Thanks

Frank JORgensen
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: Glenn,

See my reply to Marty. I need a 100 % for certain solution, not a 99%. By that I mean the safety. Lowes rejected my install order for a second hot water heater saying you cannot do that safely. They were talking about the pressures created by the hot water tank saying that two tanks create combined pressure that could blow pipes. That may be true but if it is I would think that a pressure tank on each heater would solve that but I can;t find someone that flat out says 100% certain, here is how to do this.

Thanks

Frank Jorgensen
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
frank i agree with marty his idea will save you money as far as 100% i am 100% shure u will not have a water pressure problem as long as you keep the thermostat settings below the stam mark which would be atleast 212 degrees and a water heater will not go up that high i have installed many the way i told you and the way marty told you and NEVER had a problem

thanks   glenn