Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

what does a lighting contactor do

i want to know what a lighting contactor is used for in commercial applications, specifically lighting.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Cheryl Fallon replied 8 years ago.
A "lighting contractor" will be able to offer a client style and design ideas for lighting a space, as well as do the technical, electrical work involved in the installation process. Usually, if you hire an electrician, they will not assist you in the selection of your lighting fixtures, nor will they provide you with ideas regarding the arcitecture of light placement, from an environmental and asthetic point of view. A lighting contractor has those qualifications, and should be able to help you in those areas as well.

And, of course, he/she should also be a licensed electrician so they can actually perform the installation as well.

Hope this helps.

-Cheryl Fallon
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

A lighting contactor is basically a remote control switching mechanism - a much larger version of a relay. Typically a contactor has switched 'poles' and an electric coil that when energised, closes the poles allowing a current to flow to one or more circuits.

For example, think of football stadium and the floodlighting required to light it. There is no way that you would run a switch for each light. Instead, groups of floodlights are wired through large (really large) contactors. The contactors can then be triggered by a lowly 120V circuit and a toggle switch although in reality a stadium would used something more sophisticated.

Contactors are used in many applications, not just lighting. Your car probably has over 40 relays which are small contactors and large motors used in industry are switched by contactors.

I hope that helps.

Unless you need additional info, please click ACCEPT to close our question/answer session. Bonuses are great and feedback would be appreciated too. I'll leave some for you. Thanks

Steve G., Handyman
Experience: VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl Fallon's Post: a contactor is a piece of electrical equipement. im not asking about electrical contractors