Cheryl Fallon
Cheryl Fallon, Interior Design
Experience:  B.A., Interior Design - owner of interior design company

How do you remove interior Z brick for a kitchen wall

The Z brick is installed in a kitchen above the counter top up to the wall cabinets and on a wall. It is mortored with calk. We would like to remove it to update the kitchen. How is the best and simplist way to remove it? HELP!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Cheryl Fallon replied 10 years ago.
You didn't say what the Z-Brick is anchored to, but I'm assuming that it's either drywall or wood.

If it's drywall, there's no easy way. If you try to use a hammer and chisel, you'll undoubtedly destroy the drywall in the process and end up having to replace it. If it's plywood, then a hammer and chisel should be OK.

If it's wood, try and get most of the big chunks off, and then when you get down to the leftover caulk, you can use a belt sander.

It might even be easier to just cut the drywall out with a jigsaw (with the Z-Brick still attached) and replace it with new drywall. Depending upon what you are going to put in its place, you will most probably need a smooth, level surface to start out with (for instance, if you're going to install tile.)

Hope this helps. It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but its what I would do if it were my kitchen.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I believe the wall is plaster. And I'm not certain what we will replace the z brick with. Maybe a painted wall or maybe ceramic. the new counter top will be granite.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl Fallon's Post: sorry I didn't think to tell you the wall is plaster. How does that change the picture?

If it's attached to plaster, the only way you're going to be able to remove it is with a hammer and chisel. You may (still) scar up the plaster trying to get it off, but the GOOD news is that plaster is VERY easy to repair - just get yourself some plaster patch, and fill in the holes once you've removed the Z-Brick.

It really shouldn't be difficult - just time-consuming. But plaster is WAY more foregiving than any other surface, so consider yourself lucky!

After you remove the brick, you should be able to put whatever you want up in its place. If you're going to simply paint it, you should probably have it re-textured, because what you'll be left with after the brick removal will be asthetically unattractive.

Make sure to use SAFETY GLASSES while you're demoing! Happy hammering!