K McMillion
K McMillion, Handyman
Experience:  Doing small handyman jobs
205477

How do you jack a badly settling home.

Customer Question

House in Charlotte, NC that has badly settled up to as much as 3" in places. I would like to buy the house, but the cost of professional jacking is to high. It needs 7 or 8 piers sunk to bedrock. They want $1,200 each. In other areas the price is $800. Average depth is about 25 ft.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  K McMillion replied 11 years ago.
Unless you have this type of experience - I would suggest hiring a qualified, licensed contractor to do the job for you because if done improperly the cost of fixing the damage caused by doing it wrong most likely will be higher than the cost of having a professional crew handle it the first time. The other thing you may be able to do is negotiate with the seller about he price of the house to include the cost of jacking it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to K McMillion's Post: Thanks for trying, however, I own a number of businesses, including one that does renovations. I had never seen a house that has shifted this badly and was looking for someone that knows something I didn't know. We have Professional Engineers on our staff. You recomendation is obvious and does not answer my question at all.
Again, Thanks anyway.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Oh, by the way, the seller is not very swift. He wants to get the top price for a home that needs at least $70,000 or so in repairs. He will not negotiate. The house will probably collapse before he wakes up.