Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat urine smell

Customer Question

We just bought a house that has cat urine (11 years accumulation of stench)on the wood floors and walls. How do we get rid of the smell! So far we have tried bleach, odor eliminator from pet store, sanding, baby powder, alcohol, nail soak from manicure set. So far the baby powder combined with alcohol seems to be the best but now it is beginning to smell like a baby nursery. Concerned that the smell is going to be coming back. It is in the walls too. Will painting help or will it just seal the stench in forever? HELP!!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Sim Tack replied 11 years ago.
There are several specialised products to remove those odors from your walls, which of course cost money, so you might want to use vinegar.

Here is the way to remove it with vinegar: Use a blacklight to see the spots where cat urine has been sprayed on the walls/floor. This isn't necessary but it'll help to make sure you cover every spot where the cat urine was. Use Vinegar to spray on those spots, spray the vinegar mist on all the spots and let it work in, just like the urine did. You can also use a cloth rag satturated in a bucket of vinegar and dab the spots with it.

This is said to take away the odor, but just to be sure you might want to use a special enzymatic/bacterial solution that is made specifically for this job instead.
Here are a few;
http://www.mistermax.com/products.html
http://www.lyndist.com/digester.htm
http://www.pestproducts.com/bac-azap.htm
These solutions take several days, and in case of stubborn urine deposists several applications, so be patient. And when you use those, make sure you don't use anything else right before it, since it may get in the way of those solutions.
Products like this have been used to turn the home of big cats in the zoo (lions, panthers, tigers...) into a Cafe. Not exactly those products, but it were similar enzymatic/bacterial solutions made specifically for the zoo.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sim Tack's Post: The previous owner (the one with the cats) used vinegar. Obviously, it doesn't work. I also tried that too. Didn't work for me either.

Will investigate the other stuff that you suggested. Hope something works. The Miracle odor eater from Pet store just brings out smell even worse. It seems that when moisture hits it the smell appears again.

This afternoon I tried some of the Miracle odor stuff with talcum powder for absorption. It definitely brings the urine out of the wood, boy, does it stink. The talcum powder turned brown. When I use a paper towel to blot up the moisure it is also brown, which indicates to me that the urine is reactivated by moisture and am attacking that problem. This was after I had sanded the wood down and removed all finish on it.

How can people be so dirty? If I come up with something interesting I will let you all know.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I do rescue so deal with pet odors every day. The absolute best product that I have found to kill odors from pet urine is Odoban.

It kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria and has a very pleasant smell. Your local Sam's Club sells it by the gallon. The gallon is concentrated so you can make approximately 32 spray bottles out of it. OR you can buy a spray bottle already mixed at your grocer or wal-mart store for around 4$.

I have dogs and kids and the smells from each. We also use it at the kennel and it eliminates odors completely while disinfecting. When I clean my carpets, I run it right through the carpet cleaner just like I would with carpet soap. I spray my carpet and couches between cleanings and it leaves a wonderful smell. I even spray my curtains with it. I use it to clean my countertops and my bathrooms as well. I have 10 dogs and people who come over tell me that they can't even smell them.

I think that you would be very pleased with this product and hope this suggestion helps you.

Let me know if you have more questions.