How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marty Your Own Question
Marty, professional remodeler
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 122
Experience:  30 years of home remodeling
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Marty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a shower door handle

Customer Question

I need a shower door handle with a brass finish and a 2 inch measurement from center of the holes in which the screws go.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Marty replied 11 years ago.

I would suggest looking in your local "yellow pages" under "shower
enclosures" or "shower doors". They would be able to give you the style
and size you require. You could possibly find them on-line, but I (as a
contractor) would start with a few local phone calls.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marty's Post: I have looked everywhere for this handle.Many manufacturers on the internet and every hardware store and supply house I could find.
I need a supply source for shower door handles of the two inch on center size.
Expert:  Tammy replied 11 years ago.

This customer would like more responses to this question if anyone can help her.

Feel free to post if you have an answer for her.

Expert:  James Fahey replied 11 years ago.

Dear home improver,

AZ Partsmaster is a nationwide chain boasting parts from A to Z in all technical areas. If there isn't one near you, you may also try a local plumbing store which features custom bathroom fixtures and faucets. If this does not prvide a solution, a builder's emporium may offer customizable replacements to change the entire ensemble as a last resort.

Good luck,

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to James Fahey's Post: unfortunatly a.z.does not stock these type items
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As you and we seem to be having zero luck finding what you are looking for (and my mental image is of a handle that looks a bit like a boat cleat in form with the fasteners in the center) have you considered using a brass cabinet handle with a back plate? The back plate would cover the existing holes with a decorative brass panel and let you use a new hole or holes to fasten down the handle.
I found some in the collections of brass hardware for cabinets on this site that might work for you if that is an option
the back plate and handle combinations I saw were in the Amerock brass collection but there probably are more too.
Hope this helps you!
Expert:  Marty replied 11 years ago.

Let me check with my local supplier, tomorrow.

I think he will (may ) have one. I LOVE a challenge !!


Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marty's Post: Thanks for your determination.
The shower door is 12 years old and there is no brand name on it.
The original handle is hard to describe. It was the shape of a square with one side missing, and the two ends are slightly bent (offset) so the handle raises off the door.
However any thing will work as long as it fits and it is Brass.
My sister in-law works in a plumbing supply house and has been looking for this for a month.
I may have to resort to Drawer Handles/knobs.thanks
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to NHolmes's Post: Yes.
I have not been able to find even a cabinet handle with the 2" spread on centers.

The handle is like a square with one side missing and the ends slightly flared so the handle raises off the door.

The shower door is 12 years old and there is no manufacturers name.

Ive been on most web sites of shower door manufacturers and countless hardware stores.
I found the right handle but not the right size.

Thanks for your creative thoughts. I will look and see if anything works on that site.