Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience:  City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
94198

Paver pation question

I am putting a patio made of pavers in my yard. Currently, there is a conduit pipe running through the area about 8 inches in depth. What is the best way to handle this job with the least amount of worry with that pipe upheaving the finished job sometime down the road? I plan on using 6 inches of crush and run followed by two inches of stone dust as my patio base.
Moved to Home Improvement category.

Up here in the northeast conduit is placed 18" underground. If you live in a cold climate you will get up-heave anyway whether you have crush stone or not because the entire ground moves in the freeze/thaw cycle. Crushed stones and dust fill with water in between, freeze, then thaws. For the conduit I would dig it another 8 to 10 inches deeper. At least then the conduit would be deep enough not to be effected by the freeze/thaw cycle.

Place a yellow vinyl "warning" tape the entire length over it for the next person who happens to dig in that area then place crush over that to within 4" of the surface. Stone dust the remaining 4" then install your pavers. Even if you live in a southern zone, you should still go deeper that 8" for conduit. (I am assuming it is electrical).

You may also want to consider lying concrete expansion joint material over the conduit in order to prevent any sharp stone from cutting into the conduit. The material is not affected by moisture/water. Make sure you check the wiring in the conduit while you're at it. If it's regular "romex" style 14/2 or 12/2 make sure the white and black wires are not jacketed together and that they are individual otherwise you can get overheating.

Hope I helped :)

Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience: City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Andy Lambert's Post: I am in NYS, and yes, there are electrical lines in the conduit. It was here when I bought the house, and I only discovered it's exact location by taking on this patio job. So your answer was helpful and I will be accepting it, I just wanted to clarify a few points if you do not mind. If I place this conduit 20-24 inches underground, will I be safe from it destroying the finished job sometime down the road? My only fear is there is not enough play in the conduit to get it down that deep. Crushed stone over that to four inches below ground level followed by the stone dust.