Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience:  City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
94198

2 x 4s

Customer Question

I am building a house and the builder has 2 x 4's up thru out the hosue but they are pieced together to make ONE 2 x 4 looks like glued and tongue locked in cuts like seesaw cuts Looks like it was done at factory Are those 2x 4's safe to hold up the house
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Joseph Barcus replied 11 years ago.
kind of odd, I can see this on top of the walls to joint the sides together, can you be a little more detailed. thanks
Expert:  Andy Lambert replied 11 years ago.

The studs you are concerned about are glue lam studs. They are approved by the codes as more and more lumber is being made with shavings and glue. It is stronger than “normal” wood and it doesn't’t twist. They are finger joined together and pressed. Very good product. They are usually used with glue-lam beams. The use of glue and shavings came about because trees were disappearing faster than they were growing mature enough to harvest.

The creation of naked hillsides result in slides so again, trees keep the hills together. At the same time, smaller trees are being used to make more lam studs. Lam beams are so strong you can go 24 feet without a center beam. This is the average depth of an average 24x48 foot ranch. This leaves a nice wide open basement. If you place the boiler, utilities in a corner with a direct power vent, you have the perfect setup.

You can fit that pool table with plenty of elbow room (or place the mother-in-law in her own unit in the basement). I have probably given you much more information than you needed to know but put simply, yes, those 2x4’s are fine.

Hope I helped J