Marty
Marty, professional remodeler
Experience:  30 years of home remodeling
127262

How can I remove tape adhesive (from movers) from wood furniture

Customer Question

I moved recently and bought tape from U-HAUL marked with directions for the movers (LIVING ROOM, DINING ROOM, KITCHEN, etc.). Great idea, but bad execution, especially on wooden furniture. The tape left a nasty adhesive behind, along with an imprint of the writing on the tape. Goo-Gone seems not to work very well.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Daniel Allen replied 11 years ago.
Depending on the surface I have mostly used oil based sprays to
get that tape residue off. Something like WD40. Apply the oil
and them rub the surface until the tape residue is gone. Re-
apply oil if its drying up as you go along. You need the surface
to be perfectly slick!
Expert:  Kwise replied 11 years ago.
My children put a sticker on my oak desk and after trying everything I finally found something that worked. I simply saturated the sticky stuff with Lemon Pledge. I soaked it and let it sit for a while then came back and removed almost all of it. I repeated the step and my oak desk is perfect again.

It is important to soak it well and the the lemon in the pledge is what makes it work.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kwise's Post: It does not work for me. I tried it repeatedly yesterday and varied the "soak time" of the Lemon Pledge, starting with 10 minutes and going up to 2 hours. Some of the residue came off, but it is still a total mess. I left it on overnight (11 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. and tried again this morning with the same result.
Expert:  Marty replied 11 years ago.

Try some "lighter fluid". If you have a smoking friend who owns a
"Zippo" lighter, they should have some. If not, it's pretty cheap
anyway.

Try a test area on the back of a table leg to see if harms the surface.It shouldn't, but better safe than sorry.

Next, (if the lighter fluid doesn't work), try some "de-natured alcohol, again try a "test spot" first.

If these don't work, we try some others.... please return if need be

Good Luck !