Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience:  City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
94198

Wainscoting

Customer Question

I am in the process of designing a new home and want to inlcude bead board wainscoting on rooms with a 9' ceiling. What height should the wainscoting be?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  manuel dawid replied 11 years ago.
The wainscoting should not be higher than 42-44".One reason is, that you want to stay away from light switches. The wainscoting should be lower than any light switches and definately not hit them.
Expert:  Andy Lambert replied 11 years ago.

In my opinion, you can go with 48" if you want to but keep the entire light/exhaust fan switch(s) below the top cap of the wainscoting. 48" is the standard width of many building materials and it may make it easier for you to work with as far as designing is concerned. If you are buying wainscoting "sheets" you can purchase 8 foot sections and cut them in half to save money and/or you can do the same with individual pieces if you buy them in 8 foot sections. Don't forget to consider the thickness of the cutting blade (aprox. 1/16) I think that with 9 foot ceilings you should go at least 48" to balance the room. It would give you 5 feet above the wainscoting and create a nice scale.

Hope I helped :)