Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience:  City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
94198

wrought iron porch railings

Customer Question

my black wrought iron porch railings are chiped and rusted. can i paint them?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Coleen Hoffmeister replied 11 years ago.
Yes, but you must get a specific paint for the wrought iron. If you have any chips or loose paint, you will need to scrape them down. Any store who sells paint will be able to help you. By experience, I want to suggest that you pay the extra bucks to get the good stuff so this will not be a project you will have to repeat on a yearly basis.
Expert:  Andy Lambert replied 11 years ago.

You most certainly can!

You must remove the rust first To a certain extent, any carbonated beverage will remove rust. This is because the gas used, carbon dioxide, when mixed with water, makes
carbonic acid. To make rust, the iron oxidizes, which is why rust is also called iron oxide. What the carbonic acid does is drive the reaction the other way, which is called "reduction." If you read the ingredients of Coke has phosphoric acid as an
ingredient. Phosphoric acid is what does most of the work in Naval Jelly, a commercial product used for rust removal.
This is also why the rust that isn't dissolved off turns black. It's because it's turning back into metallic iron.

You must also remove the chips. Make sure you  ""feather" the edges before painting. 

Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience: City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
andy---when i brush the coke on wrought iron railings how many applications and how long to let it stay on? do i then hose it down?   shall i feather the chips then apply coke?   is navel jelly much better and is it hard to wash off with cold water from hose?

I can't tell how many times to apply the coke because it depends on how rusty the iron is. You can remove and feather the chips first or at the same time as you begin your project. You don't need to leave it on long as it is pretty fast acting. You can feather your chips while sanding the rust off the iron.

You can use navel jelly too. It is only a little better because being a gel it sticks to the iron and is less liquid. Any product that has  phosporic acid will do. You may have to make several applications.

Hope I helped :)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Andy Lambert's Post: THANK YOU ANDY
Anytime :) 
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector