Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert , Building Inspector
Experience:  City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
94198

HOW CAN I DIG UP A DOGWOOD TREE

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andy Lambert replied 11 years ago.

How big is it? In any event you can pretty much dig up any small to medium sized tree and simply toss it into a hole already prepared if you intend on keeping it. You don't have to be too fussy as long as you water it profusely every day for the first two weeks and every two to three days after. Add some mulch to keep the soil moist. Dig the hole slightly bigger than the root ball you will be removing so that you can fill around it with some nice clean packing soil. Don't pack it too tight though. Also tie it up on three sides to keep it straight and use something soft like garden hose pieces or buy a kit so the line doesn't cut into the tree's trunk. The fall is actually the bes time to do this but if you keep it moist you should have no problems.

Hope I helped :)