Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector
Experience:  City building inspector 14 years. Contractor 30 years. RI Dept. of Health Certified.
94198

what is a general estimate per sheet start to finish

Customer Question

i am in the process of getting estimates on hanging drywall and finishing all new construction will be walls and ceilings 8foot high .rooms 12x12 and rooms 15x15

thanks
                            Customer
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andy Lambert replied 11 years ago.

It depends greatly on where you live and how busy the contractors are in your area. I hung and finished drywall for years. If you use 4x12 sheets you will save on materials because you will only need 2 sheets per wall in the 12x12 room and 3 sheets for the ceiling. This is 11 sheets.

The 15x15 room will need 2 sheets per wall plus 6 feet and 3 sheets for the ceiling plus 3, 3 foot wide sheets at the butt ends. This is 15 sheets (extra scrap will remain).

Total is:

26 sheets X's price per sheet, one 250 foot roll of paper joint tape, three (minimum) 5 gallon pails of joint compound, any outside corners will need metal corner bead, a large box of 1 3/8" (for new work only) drywall screws, 80 grit sandpaper to smooth out the compound, get a stick-type holder for your sandpaper. (the holders attach to any mop handle that are the screw type), one 5 gallon pail of drywall primer, and finally, your finish paint.

As you can see, there is a lot of material to purchase and heavy labor involved. I would have to pay a helper to assist me in putting up the sheets. I would charge you $70.00 per sheet complete. This works out to $70.00 x 26 = $1,820. Generally, you should expect it to be under $2,000.00.

Hope I helped :)