Preacher
Preacher, Home Improvement Specialist
Experience:  Rehabbing homes for 25 years.
13915

putting down underlayment on very old hardwood floor

Customer Question

I put down underlayment on a hardwood floor around 15 years ago and remember what a pain it was. The nails just don't want to go into the floor the kept bending. I tried a few types of nails and think I ended up with some type of box nail that seemed to work best. I just pulled up the floor and underlayment up and really had a tough time pulling out those nails. My question is I am going to put down new underlayment and want to know the best way to nail it down. Would a nail gun of some sort work? What kind of Nails? I plan on putting in a laminate floor . I really need to put the underlayment down because that old hard hardwood floor is also in pretty bad shape. I really don't want to tear it up either. This is a 110 year old house that had a addition put on I would say around 65 years ago and this floor actually goes under the walls. I don't know how much longer I will live here and chances are it will be a tear down if I sell it so I am going on the cheap side. Thanks for your help. Mike
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Preacher replied 11 years ago.

I always use 1 1/2" deck screws. They seem to work very well when putting down underlayment on old hardwood floors. Just make sure they are countersunk below the surface level of the underlayment.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to Preacher's Post: Thanks Rev. Jones I will give the deck screws a shot.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to Preacher's Post: Thanks I will give the deck screws a shot.