imdr06
imdr06, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  I am a certified HIV Specialist/Physician as well as board-certified Internist. I have a large HIV practice.
37530465

I am in a relationship with a lady who tested HIV Positive.

Customer Question

Good Morning Doctor,
I am in a relationship with a young lady who tested HIV Positive. I had unprotected sex with her various times throughout our 7 month relationship before knowing she was positive. After she received her positive results I was tested twice under the guidance of my physician and the proper waiting periods and luckily I am negative. My question is about a discordant relationship. I have read that a person who is HIV + with an undetectable viral load cannot transfer the HIV virus on to their partner or rather there are no documented cased of it happening. In the same breathe the study says it has a 96% certainty of not being transferred. 96% is 100% so I am curious about the 4% and the overall accuracy of the non-transferable claim. Thank you so much for you time and the education.
Here is the study:
http://www.aidsmap.com/No-one-with-an-undetectable-viral-load-gay-or-heterosexual-transmits-HIV-in-first-two-years-of-PARTNER-study/page/2832748
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

there are never any 100% absolutes in medicine.

in 4% of cases, if you have a undetectable viral load, you can spread HIV.

the chances are low, but not zero.

you can still have HIV in your blood stream when you don't have an undetectable low HIV viral titer level.